Thursday, September 4, 2008

Moving to IVF

Seriously? OMG I am still wrapping my head around the idea. I had my consult with the RE. We talked for about an hour. He totally listened to what I had to say and how I felt. We talked about everything thus far, how I felt, how he felt. It was such a great dialogue. Basically if this IUI didn't work, we are moving to IVF. We are skipping Injectables completely for the following reasons:

1. Selective reduction is NOT an option for us. With injectables we are looking at 4-5 follies. He thinks we would be at risk for high order multiples. And, since we won't consider SR, this is not a good option for us.

2. I may have a blocked tube. MY HSG was done by my OB, and well he doesn't know if it was done very well. They "thought" they saw spillage on my right side but weren't sure. So we could have a blocked tube which could be linked to #4

3. DH's samples don't wash well. We keep losing more than 1/3 of the sample. They should really be higher to be successful. Highest we ever had was 11 million.

4. I had an apendectomy that may have something to with our IF.

With IVF we work around all these problems. I am still wrapping my head around all of this. But, I really do think this is right for us. IUI w/Injectables may very well put us in a postion to make a decision we are against or not comfortable with. With IVF we can't have more than twins. RE won't transfer more than 2 embryos. I talked to him about my only "problem" with IVF. What do we do with unused embryos? He said we probably won't have many or any to freeze. He will do a day 5 transfer. This way we have the best embryos to transfer, and probably will only have a few, if any to freeze. I was comfortable with this.

So that is it. I obviously hope AF doesn't show and IUI #3 worked. But if it didn't, I will be starting BCP when AF shows. We are looking at IVF in either October or November.

WOW! Just WOW!

1 comment:

Tabitha said...

Oh, good for you! Doesn't it feel nice to have a plan?! I hope this IUI works for you, but if not, then good luck with the IVF!!